Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vegan Cinnamon Pecan Coffeecake

To say the least, I have been busy lately! The school year is wrapped up, John's parents visited, and we are currently in the process of moving. Most of my cooking things are packed, cookbooks included. I do have a few recipes of things I have made that turned out pretty good.

I used to make this coffeecake when anyone would visit, but put it away when I became vegan. I was not sure if it could be as delicious...but it was moist and flavorful! I don't remember where the recipe came from, a magazine probably. Here it is with my changes: Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a 13x9x2 baking dish. Set aside. For coffeecake: combine in a large bowl: 2 cups white spelt flour, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Blend this mixture with 3/4 cup Earth Balance Butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Combine 1 cup vegan Sour Cream (I used Tofutti Sour Supreme better than Sour Cream), 1/4 cup almond milk, 2 egg replacers (used Orgran No Egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Spoon half into the baking dish. Sprinkle half of the following topping mixture over batter: 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Spread the remaining batter over top. Sprinkle the remaining topping. Bake 35-40 minutes.

I took it to a brunch with John's family and didn't have time to snap a photo :-( But everyone really enjoyed eating it!

No comments: