Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Vegan Coconut Washboards


...minus the washboard part! The recipe said to press a fork onto the top; I decided that was too much work. It did not make a difference in the flavor and the dough was too sticky. The cookies were so good and John told me I am in trouble because "I know how to make vegan cookies now." The recipe is from the Ultimate Cookie Collection cookbook, and here are my modifications: 1 Earth Balance Buttery Stick (1/2 cup), 1 Earth Balance Shortening Stick (1/2 cup), 2 cups sucanat, Orgran Egg Replacer (the equivalent of 2 eggs), 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 cups spelt flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 cup flaked coconut. Cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Add the egg replacer. Add water and vanilla, mix well. Separately combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Fold in the coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Roll into 1" balls. Form dough into oblong shapes, press with a fork (this is the part I skipped!) Bake at 400 for about 7 minutes (longer if the cookies are bigger). Cool and eat!

No comments: