Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vegan Nachos


We went to a Sushi party yesterday. It was loads of fun and I mimicked the vegan sushi John and I made at home a while ago, plus this time added a little vegan cream cheese to the rolls. Apparently everyone had brought avocados and there were a ton leftover, so we ended up taking three very large, ready to be used avo's home with us. I decided to make guacamole and, what goes excellent with guacamole? Nachos! I layered a cookie sheet with vegan corn chips and plopped blobs of vegetarian refried black beans, mixed with a little taco seasoning, on top. This baked at 350 for about 10 minutes. I whipped up a batch of quick melty cheese on the stove top while the chips were getting warm and crispy. The guacamole recipe is from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. There are not many vegan recipes in this cookbook, but I purchased it years ago for a brownie recipe! The guac is simple; combine the following: 2 ripe avocados, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 dashes Tabasco sauce, 1/4 cup red onion diced, 1 garlic clove, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 medium tomato, diced. Mix it all together and it is delicious! I added salsa, diced tomato, and chopped romaine lettuce. We had a great night watching movies and eating Nachos on the couch!

No comments: