Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sun-Dried Tomato Falafels in Pitas



I can't remember the last time I made falafel from scratch but I do know it did not turn out this great! Taken from Vegan Bites, it took about 45 minutes to get ready and then about 15 to cook. I bought the sun-dried tomatoes in a jar of olive oil; that saved time.
Food processor the following: 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, 1/3 cup water, 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, 2 tsp garlic, 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/8 tsp cayenne. Transfer to a bowl and add 1/3 cup whole wheat flour, 2 Tbsp red onion diced, 2 Tbsp celery diced, 2 Tbsp fresh parsley diced. Mix together and make balls and slightly flatten into thick patties. (the recipe says 6, I thought they were too big and made 8) Fry the falafel patties in olive oil until browned, set on paper towels to drain. I stuffed ours into Ezekiel Pocket Bread and topped with shredded carrots, lettuce, and Broccosprouts. (called for alfalfa sprouts but I am not a fan. These brocco ones were so tasty). The sauce is tahini mixed with a splash of lemon juice.

No comments: