Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Baked Ziti Casserole



The recipe is from my Vegan Bites cookbook. I followed it pretty closely with the exception of the tomato sauce, noodles, and the cheese on top. Instead of a jar of tomato sauce, I used 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes mixed with onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, diced onion, and a little sucanat to take away the acidity. For the pasta, I didn't even try to find ziti, I used quinoa macaroni instead. It always comes out really fresh tasting, never mushy like some "healthy" pasta alternatives. As for the cheese on top, I sprinkled sesame Parmesan instead of buying a vegan cheese. I have found they are pricey, and in my opinion, a little bit of a let down. On the side, a tossed romaine salad with red pepper and Annie's Goddess Dressing. The bread is from Hideaway Bakery. Delicious!

No comments: