Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

Sesame Parmesan Cheese


I had a craving for chicken caesar salad today. Fortunately, we had a box of Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips in the freezer. They're a bit bland but a touch of salt and pepper livens them up. I heated 5 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp white wine vinegar and added garlic to sauté. This was the dressing. I poured it over chopped romaine lettuce and tossed with the chicken. For color I also added a little diced red pepper. But I just couldn't get over the fact that something was missing! A chicken caesar salad is not complete without parmesan cheese! Luckily, I found a recipe in the cookbook Vegan Homestyle that turned out to be delicious. It had all the right flavor for what was missing: salty, a bit chewy, and rich. I did not have onion powder so I diced a few slices of real onion. It came out a little bit more "pasty" but was easy to crumble over the salad with my fingers.
Sesame Parmesan
1/2c sesame seeds
1/2c nutritional yeast
1T onion powder
1t salt
1/4t garlic powder
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan. Be careful! They toast very quickly and are easy to burn. Cool. Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until fine.

No comments: