Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Roasted Garlic Potato Soup and Apple Crisp

Delicious and lots of leftovers. I found this recipe at Lauren's Vegan Journal, a blog I get a lot of ideas from. I made the same adjustments as her: almond milk, veggie broth, and extra garlic. I served it with green beans (same recipe as posted previously with tomato soup) and a tossed salad with red pepper, avocado, and Annie's Goddess Dressing.

We had a dinner guest (with an amusing combination of sarcasm and traditional manners!) I didn't want to appear rude photographing the meal and asking him to wait to eat until I got the perfect shot! The soup was very creamy because the potatoes are blended but a few are reserved and served on top. I used red potatoes, which gave the soup a sweet flavor. Prep time for the meal was about an hour and a half including washing, peeling and chopping all the potatoes and other veggies.

For dessert, I made Apple Crisp in ramekins. The recipe was for 6 ramekins. I was cooking for 3 so I made my best attempt at using only half the amount of each ingredient. I also made a few substitutions: whole-wheat flour instead of all-purpose, Sucanat instead of dark brown sugar, Earth Balance Buttery Sticks instead of butter, and Granny Smith apples instead of the combination the recipe calls for. I think we cut the apples a bit too thin because they cooked down and turned so soft it was almost like eating apple sauce. But then again, what is wrong with applesauce topped with a sweet, granola like topping?!!?

No comments: