Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Spicy Caribbean Ginger Stew and Gingered Pumpkin Scones



The flavor of ginger has recently become one of my favorites! It goes really nicely in stir-fry dishes, mixed with green beans, and in desserts. I originally planned to serve this soup with crusty bread. But plans changed when I decided to make these scones for breakfast.
The soup was really easy. I used an extra clove of garlic and probably double the amount of ginger it called for. For the seitan, I used White Wave Chicken flavored wheat meat. The soup is spicy but not over the top!

The scones were also very easy; ready in about 45 minutes, start to finish. I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 cups spelt flour, Earth Balance Buttery Sticks for the butter, a few extra "sprinkles" of ginger powder, and a 15 oz can of Pumpkin Pie Mix for the pureed pumpkin. (It was a little under in amount for what the recipe called for but it is what I had in the kitchen and it worked!!)

The meal had a great combination of spicy and sweet ginger flavor!

**Update** John did not agree with the combination of scones ("They are for breakfast!!!") and soup. So, the scones are being eaten with coffee/tea at breakfast or for a snack and crusty bread will be purchased to eat with the remaining soup!

No comments: