Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Barbequed Tempeh and Zesty Quinoa



Tempeh is a nice alternative to tofu. They are both made from soybeans but Tempeh has a different look, taste and texture. The consistency is more of a bean loaf than the smooth texture of tofu. I sliced strips and added them to a mixture of green peppers and red onion sautéed in olive oil with lots of salt and pepper. I cooked it until the Tempeh lightly browned on both sides; then added about 1/2 a cup of Annies Barbeque sauce.

The Zesty Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah :-) turned out so flavorful with a few adjustments. Instead of using olive oil to sauté the onion and garlic, I used the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes. I also substituted the dry white wine for Marsala wine in equal amount (simply because I had Marsala wine and no white wine!) I did not roast the cashews, just sprinkled raw, crushed on top.

I added the spinach leaves and Annie's Goddess Dressing last minute because it looked too "red" on the plate! The coolness of the spinach and dressing was a good addition to the rich quinoa and tangy barbeque sauce.

No comments: