Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cheezy Cauliflower and Portobello Mushroom Steaks


I have a really good recipe for "cheese sauce" that I recently used in a batch of enchiladas. It gave me the idea for how to use the head of cauliflower I bought at the grocery store. To start, I chopped the cauliflower into bite-size pieces and spread them in a 9x13 baking dish. For the sauce, mix thoroughly 1/2 cup flour (I used spelt), 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt (I eliminated this and the flavor was still great), 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 2 cups of water. In a medium saucepan, heat on medium heat until bubbly and thick. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon mustard and 4 Tablespoons margarine (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread). When it was all mixed together, I poured it over the cauliflower in the baking dish. I then mixed 1/2 cup bread crumbs, a few shakes of sesame Parmesan cheese, and a tablespoon of Earth Balance. After mixing these three ingredients together, I sprinkled it on top of the cauliflower and baked it for about 35 minutes at 350. John washed and cut the stem off the portobello mushrooms, then brushed them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sliced fresh garlic on top. We added these to the oven and baked along with the cauliflower.

No comments: