Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Quinoa and Chickpeas with Portobello Mushrooms


I haven't posted for a while because we have been out of town quite a bit and eating out even more! This weekend we went to Portland for a concert and had dinner at a restaurant called Nutshell. It was tapas style, all vegetarian, and all but 2 options vegan. The menu consisted of all whole foods, nothing processed (no tofu, seitan, etc). It reminded me of my original goal in becoming a vegan, to avoid a diet based on soy products. Lately, soy has been in just about everything I have eaten or cooked, sometimes multiple things in one meal.
Tonight's dinner was soy free, and full of many random (delicious) flavors.
My birthday was a few weeks ago and a lady I work with gave me a beautiful box of veggies and fruits from her garden. I boiled the green beans and two tablespoons dill for about 5 minutes. They were very thick and hearty beans so they didn't get overly soft in that time. Normally I would only cook thin beans for 3-4 minutes.
I have been slightly obsessed with artichoke hearts lately! I have made them following this recipe in the past (minus the snowpeas). It turns out awesome every time. And finally, I rinsed a cup of quinoa (really important! It takes a bitter layer off) and sautéed it in a tablespoon of Earth Balance buttery spread, until slightly browned. Add two cups of water and simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender (not mushy, sticky, or dry). To this, I added a can of garbanzo beans and a splash of olive oil and lemon. To top the grains, I sautéed a sliced portobello mushroom in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lots of pepper.
It was a very satisfying, wholesome meal!

No comments: