Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

Carrot cake with Cream Cheese Icing


I have made this recipe before, not vegan. Tonight I tested it with egg substitute and vegan cream cheese and was definitely not disappointed. It is from an In Style magazine from 2005 and is called "Jenny Belushi's Carrot Cake." The ingredients for the cake are: 2 cups All-Purpose flour (I substituted one for Whole Wheat Pastry), 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp salt, 2 cups sugar, 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used safflower), 2 eggs (Ener-G Egg replacer), 4 cups grated carrots, and 1 cup sweetened (I used unsweetened) coconut. Heat the over to 350 and grease/flour two 9" cake pans. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl. In a large bowl beat sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Beat the two mixtures together. Add carrots and coconut. Divide between two pans and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool on wire wracks. Ingredients for the frosting are: 11 oz. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, 4 TBSP Earth Balance butter, 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tsp vanilla (I forgot to add the vanilla). I added all the ingredients to my food processor and mixed. I had to add at least a cup more powdered sugar to make it thick enough. This cake rocks!

No comments: