Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Wild Rice and Chanterelle Mushroom Soup


This weekend, we went to the annual Eugene Mushroom Festival at Mount Pisgah. It was fun, very crowded though. We were a little annoyed with trying to look at all the types of mushrooms because people kept stopping to take a million photos of each mushroom. John sampled a few kinds of mushrooms, but I passed because they were sautéed in butter. We didn't purchase any mushrooms because they were a bit pricey. But, on our way home we saw a "side of the road" stand that was selling chanterelle mushrooms, a pound for $5. We only had $4 on us but the man was very nice and let us still have a pound! I decided to make a wild rice and mushroom soup in the crock pot when we got home. I sort-of followed this recipe but left out the cabbage, barley, and spinach. Instead, I added carrots and celery. I also doubled the wild rice amount instead of the barley (I didn't have any!) It cooked all day and tasted great. It did make a lot and after a few days, the rice had absorbed ALL of the liquid. It then became bloated rice and mushroom soup. Next time, smaller batch!

No comments: