Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hot and Sour Soup w/Mushrooms and Cabbage

The recipe came from the Veganomicon cookbook. I couldn't find dried wood ear mushrooms so I used dried shiitake. I didn't have Asian hot chile oil so I added 2 extra teaspoons of white pepper (as the recipe suggested to do). Next time, I will only add one (or maybe even less) because it became very, very (too) peppery. Regardless, the soup was awesome. If I were to rename it, I would substitute sour for tangy. Edamame on the side was perfect.
1/2 oz dried wood ear mushrooms
2 cups boiling water
8 leaves napa cabbage
4 cups veggie broth
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 teaspoons Asian hot chile oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 1/2 cups thick-sliced white mushrooms
1 heaping Tablespoon arrowroot (or cornstarch)
1 cup cold water
1 lb extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into match-sticks
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped scallions

Place the dried mushrooms in the boiling water, covered, for 20 minutes.
Cut the napa leaves into thin slices, widthwise.
To a soup pot add: veggie broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, hot chile oil, sesame oil, and white pepper. Bring to a boil and add the cabbage and fresh mushrooms. Cook until the cabbage is completely wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain and dice the wood ears and add them to the soup. Mix the arrowroot and water until dissolved. Add to the soup along with the carrots and tofu. Cook until heated through. Garnish with scallions.

No comments: