Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Homemade Seitan and Tomato Gravy

I decided it was time to try my hand at seitan. I have a load of wheat gluten and am trying to dwindle down my food supply as we prepare to move soon. It was really easy using the recipe for Simple Seitan from Veganomicon. The recipe says "you don't want to boil for very long or the outside of the seitan will be spongy." I think I boiled too long! The outside was a lighter color and had a slightly different texture. But, most importantly, the taste was amazing. I have not bought seitan since. I can't believe I was so scared to try making it until now.

We also had a delicious tomato gravy. I didn't follow a recipe because I couldn't find a vegan one that appealed to me. I can't remember exactly how I made the gravy but I am sure it involved crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, milk, flour, agave, garlic, and a mixture of herbs.

Also under the tomato gravy are Zucchini Patties. The recipe is not vegan but easily substituted to be so. And finally, freshly cooked black beans.

No comments: