Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Vegan French Toast



I didn't have all the ingredients (bread!) for the recipe so we walked to Safeway. It's definitely one of my least favorite grocery stores, but it's close. They had french bread but the ingredients were very sketchy. I googled L-Cysteine, from my phone (thank goodness for wifi!). It made me very uncomfortable. I wanted to make the french toast for breakfast but I didn't want to settle for that crappy bread!
Being the trooper that John always is, he said, "Let's put it back and go to Capella." A little further from our apartment, but such a great selection of fresh organic and vegan foods. Also, they sell bread from Metropol Bakery. So we spent an extra half hour getting the ingredients but it was well worth it. The french toast was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. It had a sweet, almond flavor. The recipe made 8 pieces and between John (6) and me (2), we had no leftovers!
I did not make any changes to the recipe. I used coconut oil instead of shortening but could not find "Coconut Shortening" and the oil is the same consistency as shortening...so I think the recipe meant to say Coconut oil!!! It tasted great. The Spectrum brand was a little pricey. I found a local organic, cold pressed brand that I purchased instead.

The sausage on the side is Smart Links Breakfast. It was very dry. We both agreed that it would be perfect in gravy for another round of Biscuits and Gravy, but not to be eaten alone.

The juice is oranges and apples (I meant to put blueberries in it also, but I only had frozen and forgot to thaw them in time!!!)

No comments: