Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes



Yikes, it has been a while! I have not been cooking lately at all. In fact, I don't think I have even been to the grocery store for 2 weeks! We have had company in town, been reheating leftovers, and eating out A LOT! It has been a nice break but I am ready to start cooking again.

My friend Debbie gave me a cookbook to borrow for a few weeks, How It All Vegan. I found a recipe for pancakes that sounded great this morning. Very simple recipe, nothing that a kitchen in desperate need of a trip to the grocery store wouldn't have! I also liked that the recipe didn't included sugar. I added 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (partially thawed, then chopped) for additional flavor. We spread Earth Balance Buttery Spread and maple syrup on top. I have to say, I have been addicted to this butter for a while now. Last week at school we had a luncheon. I was responsible for rolls and butter. Not an easy or inexpensive things for a vegan to shop for but I found great rolls at Market of Choice. I won't go into details on how my cats destroyed half of them as they sit on the counter top..still infuriates me! Anyway, back to breakfast. On the side we tried Smart Bacon. I was convinced immediately that there must be bacon fat or something authentic in this product because it tasted exactly how I remember bacon to taste. (note: It is over 10 years since I have eaten real bacon...) John felt differently and I notice in many reviews of the product other people agree with him. Anyway, I am very excited to try BLT's. Finally, we had coffee on the side. I have given coffee up except for weekends and special occasions. We add Silk Creamer and it gives it a creamy flavor.
I made a few changes to the recipe noted in parenthesis.
Classic Pancakes
2 cups flour (barley flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups soy milk (a little bit less because I didn't have quite enough)
2 tbsp oil (3 tbsp to make up for the milk I didn't have enough of)
Sift dry ingredients. Add milk and oil. Don't over mix. Cook on hot non-stick pan.

No comments: