Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The decision....

John blames it all on a story we heard on NPR a few days ago. Products from cloned animals will soon be available in grocery stores...UNLABELED! Yes, icky. But not fully responsible for my decision. I have been a vegetarian, on and off, for over 12 years. Although I do not agree with the cruel treatment of animals, I am mainly focused on the health benefits veganism offers. Reduced risk of heart disease and cancer for starters!

The transition will not be instant. John is less than thrilled. But I know I will win him over with a few delicious meals...and a few vegan baked goods! Before long, he (we) won't miss cheese!!! And of course he occasionally sneaks in meat dishes when we go out to dinner.

So this will be a record of my transition. I do not currently eat meat but it is surprising how many food items contain animal products! My goal is to quickly use up products currently in my kitchen containing animal products while replacing them with vegan choices. I have found many great websites that offer vegan recipes, substitution ideas, and I am currently reading the book Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis, R.D and Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D. I have also scheduled an appointment to have my blood tested for minerals/vitamins/hormone levels, etc. to know if I am currently lacking in any area.

My hope for this blog is to share information, nutrition, and encourage veganism while keeping a food journal of things I make, restaurants, favorite websites, books, and maybe someday clothing and household items completely plant derived!!! Who knows.

Enjoy and Thanks!

No comments: