Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It is going well!!!!!!!

Even though I have not posted for a few days, I have been cooking up a storm...A vegan storm that is! I am not 100% vegan yet, but because of the amazing recipes I have found online, ideas from other creative vegan bloggers and a seminar that we attended, John is completely on board!!!! Yesterday we went to the Eugene Home and Garden Show! Kay Hansen, author of Vegan Homestyle (officially my first vegan cookbook!!!) gave a short lecture on the leading causes of disease...most of which are completely preventable. The point that stuck with me most: eat three meals a day. Give your digestive system a break in between, i.e. no snacking. It takes 5 - 6 hours to digest a meal and eating in between causes your system to stop working on the first meal, start digesting the new food. This leaves the original meal to sit and wait, meanwhile creating toxins. Her cookbook does a much nicer job of describing it. But bottom line for me: lay off the snacks :-(

So here are a few of my recent food creations....I must say, my photography skills are very weak right now and most pictures turned out blurry and therefore are not posted!

This idea was swiped from one of my favorite blog sites Lauren's Vegan Journal and a HUGE inspiration for creating my own (blog title and all!!) A fabulous alternative to pasta is Spaghetti Squash. I like to bake it sliced in half lengthwise, seeds scooped out and spread with olive oil, salt and pepper. It bakes quickly in a shallow baking pan filled with water, seasoned side down. When it is ready, the inside will easily pull out with a fork. For the sauce, I cooked onions and garlic, added crushed tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, a variety of Italian seasonings, artichoke hearts and Tofurky Italian Sausage ...I think that was all. It turned out delicious and we had lunch for at least 3 days afterward. The picture on the other hand was so blurry I deleted it.

No comments: