Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

Banana Nut Bread


What to do with 2 super squishy bananas? Make bread! I took this recipe from my Vegan Bites cookbook. On the side is a new kinds of Earth Balance butter. It is not on their site, that I could find. We really like the flavor and it is made from olive oil.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour ( I used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup spelt flour)
2/3 cup unbleached cane sugar or beet sugar (I used sucanat)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 large banana ( I used 2 medium)
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp safflower oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup chopped nuts ( I used walnuts)
Preheat the oven 350. Lightly oil 8x4x2 loaf pan. Combine the first 6 ingredients. Whisk mashed banana, water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients. Sprinkle the nuts on top and gently press them in with fingers. Bake 20-25 minutes (I had to bake for closer to 40!!! It was dark on the outside, but very moist on the inside). Will keep for 3 to 5 days.

No comments: