Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Supreme Seitan Cheesesteaks


While John was out of town, I spent a lot of time at the bookstore! I can get vegan lattes, correct papers, meet interesting people, and buy books!!! I picked up Vegan Bites Recipes for Singles. I was drawn to it because the serving sizes are generally 2-3. Now, I know in the past I have given recipes a few extra points if they provide me with a delicious lunch serving the next day, but lately we have had too much food in the fridge! My first pick from this book was a vegan version of Philly Steak and Cheese sandwiches. Vegans really can have it all!!! I substituted the seitan for Trader Joe's Steak Strips. (Cant find a picture or link..I will take one of the box next time I buy them!) They don't have much of a flavor alone, but in recipes, add a great texture and absorb flavors nicely. On the side is Mac and Cheese, made mainly because we had so much extra cheese sauce! To be honest though, I am finished making mac and cheese for now. This attempt was MUCH better than the last disaster!!!! But still, just did not hit the old mac and cheese spot. In the bowl, spinach and Annie's Goddess Dressing, still my favorite dressing of all time.

Supreme Seitan Cheesesteaks
8 oz seitan
1/2 cup yellow onion, mushrooms, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp tamari
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
2 submarine rolls or hot dog buns (I used Ezekiel 4:9 Hot Dog Rolls)
2 slices vegan cheese or 1/2 cup shredded (used the cheese sauce listed below)
Remove seitan from its package and drain. Pat dry and slice. Cook the veggies on medium heat with the olive oil 2-3 minutes. Add seitan, cook 2 minutes. Add all other ingredients, cook 1 minute. Assemble into buns and add cheese!

Quick Melty Cheese (From Vegan Homestyle)
1 cup water
2 oz pimentos
1/4 c nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 c cashews
2 T arrowroot powder
2 T oats
2 t salt
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 c boiling water
Blend the first 8 ingredients until smooth. Bring 1 1/2 cup water to boil. Turn heat to low and add blended mixture to water, simmer, stir constantly until thick.

No comments: