Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Mexican Millet, Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu and Pesto Hummus


This was my first attempt at millet and I loved it! It is very delicious, light, slightly crunchy, and much more appetizing and less filling than rice. The recipe came from the Veganomicon Cookbook, easily becoming one of my favorites. The tofu is Chile Cornmeal-Crusted also from the same cookbook. I did not use the Old Bay Seasoning (the recipe in the cookbook also does not call for it). The hummus was what brought the meal together though! It seems like an unlikely match to the flavors of the other items in the meal but it actually was perfect with the tofu. I added to the food processor a can of garbanzo beans, a large bunch of basil, lots of olive oil and the surprise ingredient, Gyoza dipping sauce. The recipe that I started to follow but quickly strayed from called for soy sauce of which I did not have. I decided to give the Gyoza sauce a try and it was delicious. I didn't have to add any salt or additional seasonings to the mix.
The circular "rock like" item on the plate was my attempt at cheddar dill scones. One I will not be trying again any time soon!!!

No comments: