Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Julia Child's Potato and Leek Soup with Rosemary Rolls



I have been reading the book Julie and Julia. It is a memoir about a lady that did a blog about cooking every recipe in Julia Child's first french cookbook, in one year. It was just recently made into a movie staring Amy Adams and Meryl Streep. I actually watched the movie on our flight here to Vienna! The first recipe she describes is a potato and leek soup. It is mentioned as very easy and very delicious, of which I love both! It is also one of very, very few recipes of Julia Child's or french cooking for that matter, that can be easily made vegan! (And I think Julia Child would probably be spinning in her grave if she knew I was taking the butter and/or cream out of her recipes!) The weather here in Vienna is gloomy and cold and perfect for hot soup! I found the recipe here and only had to substitute the cream for a vegan version. The EuroSpar grocery store right next to our apartment carries a great product called Cuisine Sojacreme zum Kochen und Verfeinern (Soy cream to boil and refine?!?!) Anyway, the cream container has a great picture of a bowl of soup with the product being poured in. And it did not disappoint! The soup was heavenly. To go along, I made my favorite Rosemary rolls with whole wheat flour. I was nervous about the rolls turning out because 1) yeast is called germ and it took me a long time to figure this out and 2) the flour that I bought apparently already had "germ" in it. But, the rolls were the perfect companion to the soup.

No comments: