Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Welcome to Denmark


My husband's company purchased these flowers for us as a "Welcome to Denmark" gesture!

So far, finding organic fruits and vegetables is not difficult. I have not noticed if they are local or imported but the concept of buying local is very strong here. I have also found a brand of marinated tofu, soy burger crumbles, and something resembling chicken nuggets in the frozen foods section. Soy, rice, and oat milk are easy to find in most grocery stores, and yesterday, we found soy creamer. The usual variety of grains (quinoa, bulgur, all varieties of rice, polenta, all varieties of beans, etc) are available. On my to-do list for this week, I plan to visit the asian market, turkish market, and an all organic supermarket in search of nutritional yeast and agave, along with a few other "must-have" staples.

As for restaurants, we have only had lunch out a few times at a place called Jacob's Pita Bar. They have a humus and falafel pita that is very tastey! Yesterday, a friend gave us a mini guide to the city that lists a few restaurants with vegetarian selections. Dining out is VERY pricey, so it won't happen often. But, I am thrilled to know that I might have a few options for when our budget opens up to a night out!

In a nut shell, Denmark is not vegan-friendly, but also not vegan-impossible!

No comments: