Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Jackfruit "Carnitas" Tacos

This is what a Jackfruit looks like, in its original form. It is HUGE. Larger than a large watermelon. I had never eaten Jackfruit before, and honestly had never even heard of it.

A few weeks ago, John found Jackfruit in a can. I was less than thrilled and it just sat around for a while until yesterday he asked, "When are you going to cook that Jackfruit?" I have to be honest, I didn't even know you were supposed to cook it! I thought it was canned fruit, like peaches, that you open up and eat. So, I did a little noodling on the internet and found a taco recipe for the Jackfruit and became very curious about it. Apparently, Jackfruit is called "Vegetarian Meat" and used as a meat replacement in many dishes. Interesting.



So, we followed this recipe and I am now a huge fan of Jackfruit! The appearance of the fruit in the pan, after being cooked was alarmingly similar to pulled pork. But, thankfully, it tasted like salsa and spices, and the texture was a bit like eating an artichoke heart.



I could not find salsa verde, so I used regular salsa. We also included black beans, lettuce, olives, and guacamole in our tacos.

No comments: