Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chocolate Orange Cream Loaf Cake


For my second attempt at catering lunch for John's co-workers, I made this dessert. I didn't get to eat any of it myself but the feedback was very positive and it did smell wonderful!

The cake is a basic vegan chocolate cake baked in a loaf pan. After it has cooled completely, it is sliced into three long layers.

The filling is a combination of sugar, cornstarch, soy milk, orange juice, vanilla, and orange zest. It has a pudding-like texture but did a nice job of holding the layers up and staying in place.

The final step is to frost with Chocolate Ganache (1/4 cup coconut oil, 3 Tbsp soy milk, 1/2 cup chocolate). I didn't do this for a variety of reasons, but left the bowl of Ganache next to the cake and let people spoon it on themselves!

The recipe is from The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes. Along with the dessert, I made Kugel and Lentil Salad.

No comments: