Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Three-Bean Burritos


Because of the massive amount of dry black beans I have in my kitchen, and my inability to find vegetarian refried beans here, I decided to make my own. The burrito recipe, from Vegan Planet, calls for refried, black, and pinto beans. I made refried black beans and used a can of kidney and white.

Here is the recipe I followed for the refried beans. Instead of vegetable oil or margarine, I used coconut oil. I did not have marjoram, so that is not included in my version. There are quicker recipes available but I doubt they produce such a creamy, rich product! Before adding the second 2 cups of water, I ran half the mixture through the blender for a smoother texture.

After the refried beans finished cooking, I added the other 2 kinds of beans, salsa, additional chili powder, salt and pepper. This cooked until everything was hot and it was then divided between 4 tortillas, topped with Sheese Smoked Cheddar, lettuce and a bit of diced green onion. I also made a batch of guacamole and sliced some cherry tomatoes for the stuffing.

No comments: