Pages

Friday, July 4, 2008

Chilaquiles




John asked for Chilaquiles for breakfast today. I Googled a few recipes to see if it was possible, because of a) my skill level and b) the ingredients in our fridge. It did take a run to the grocery store, but I started the tofu scramble and John walked to my least favorite grocery store, Safeway. As it turns out, they were easy but I never did find a recipe that I liked! Either it didn't include the ingredients that I wanted or it had funky instructions. So, I pretty much made this up from memory of John ordering Chilaquiles at Morning Glory last time we ate there. They were delicious and we have leftovers for tomorrow!
I started by preparing scrambled tofu. This is the best recipe ever! I add Turmeric to mine to make it yellow and it looks exactly like scrambled eggs! While the tofu is cooking, in a large sauté pan, add a splash of olive oil and cook 1 large, roughly chopped onion. When translucent, add one 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes, 1 can rinsed black beans, and 1 can mild green chilies diced. Mix well, add 1 1/2 cups veggie stock, and lots of salt and pepper. This will take a while to cook down so, in the mean time, thinly slice 5 corn tortillas, spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes at 300 degrees, until crisp. When the tomato mixture has cooked down, and is only slightly soupy (leave some liquid in because you want the tortillas to be able to absorb some of the liquid without making the mixture dry) add the crisp tortilla strips and mix together. Add the tofu scramble and a tablespoon dried cilantro. The tortillas are supposed to get soft and moist, not stay crispy. When it looks like the right consistency and everything is soft, pour a cup, or so, of salsa on top and sprinkle with a vegan cheese of choice. Bake at 300 for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melty (or at least as melty as vegan cheese ever gets!)
I used Frontera Salsa. John did not read the label when buying it, but it has "spices" as an ingredient. I have learned to never trust such a general ingredient....so we called them. Turns out, all their salsas are vegan!
I added Ezekiel English Muffins to the side and, of course, coffee!

No comments: