Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mini Vegan Quiches



















I set out to make mini soufflés but ran into complications with an ingredient, so I made mini quiches instead. I wanted to make the crust from scratch but had trouble finding a recipe that didn't call for "refrigerator dough." I settled on this crust recipe because the chili powder added a nice kick! (I put more than a 1/2 teaspoon in, and the kick was just right; I couldn't taste it in the first bite but then it "crept" up on me a few bites later!) I substituted the all-purpose flour for spelt and the butter and shortening for the Earth Balance Vegan brand (same amounts of each). For the egg in the crust and quiche, I used Orgran No Egg. Not crazy about the ham and chile theme of the recipe, I created my own addition. I sautéed spinach and Tofurky Italian Sausage in garlic, then added a sprinkle of sesame parmesan on top. Next time, I will use more No-egg mixture. The flavor was very "quiche-like" and although it didn't taste dry, it looked it. Also, the recipe commented that freezing the quiches for later use was a good idea. I froze half and agree! Next time we have company coming into town, I will definitely pre-make a few for a nice, quick breakfast treat.

No comments: