Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hot Chili Soy Curl and Roasted Potato Tacos


I found this recipe in the October 2009 VegNews magazine and originally made it exactly as the recipe calls for. It is really called Chipotle Seitan and Roasted Potato Tacos but I had to make a few adjustments this time around. First, I can't find seitan in stores here and haven't found wheat gluten to make my own. Secondly, I can't find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

So, this time around, I used a spicy, green pepper and sriracha hot chilli sauce (yes, they spell chilli with 2 L's!). I also substituted lemon for lime juice and sunflower oil for peanut. I topped the tacos with diced tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, and guacamole instead of the salsa, cabbage, onion, jalapenos combo they recommend.



Instead of seitan, I used soy curls. They never achieved the crispy texture that seitan does but did a nice job of absorbing the flavor of the marinade and giving the tacos texture and made the tacos very filling.



The recipe is posted at this blog site exactly as it is in the magazine.

No comments: