Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pistachio Rosewater Cookies


I was feeling a little sad that I did not bake any cookies this year for the Christmas holiday. We were out of town, busy, excuses, excuses. And, because it is Sunday and NOTHING, I repeat, nothing is open in Vienna on Sunday, I have all day to spend in the kitchen! I would have originally chosen a cookie with chocolate because I am obsessed but didn't have any in the house (except for a chocolate bar of John's that, lucky for him, had some kind of butter product in it).

I bought a container of rosewater in Portland a while back and intended to use it as a body spray but don't actually use it much. So, these cookies came together quickly and easily.



Unfortunately, they never quite turned out perfectly. Each batch had its own issues.
When I took the first batch out of the oven, they looked white and slightly raw. I let them cool for 5 minutes on the baking stone (as instructed by the recipe) and they firmed up nicely but were a bit flat. I decided for the second batch to use a smaller amount of dough and flatten it out less. It worked but I burned them (do NOT let them burn! They are so hard, impossible to eat). The third batch was better but still flat (pictured above).

The positive: What a lovely smell I have in my kitchen now!!! But, these cookies are not something I would make on a regular basis, but think they would be nice to serve with tea. Note to self: make friends and have a tea party!!! I did not add zest and used lemon juice instead of lime because I had it. John is not a huge fan of "perfume-y" foods, and I would definitely put these into that category. Oh well, he has his chocolate bar at least!!! :-)

No comments: