Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Individual Heart-Shaped Apple Galettes


After the semi-disappointment of the Pumpkin Gnochhi, I was so happy I had a fantastic dessert made! I made these really cute, individual heart-shaped, apple pie like, crusty, tart and sweet pies. The recipe made 6 so I will be eating the leftover with Peach Green Tea for breakfast/lunch/dinner, basically anytime for a few days!

The crust directions appeared a tad complicated at first but after following the recipe carefully I see that it isn't really that difficult. This blog does a nice job of explaining the process but the ingredients listed here are a little different. The original recipe calls for 2 cups of all purpose flour and no xanthan gum. The blog gives a great alternative to make the crust gluten free though. Instead of coconut oil (although I love this substitution!) I used vegan margarine.

When the dough was prepared, cut into 6 hearts, sides folded and scored, 1-2 teaspoons of apricot preserves were spread inside the heart, topped with apple slices and sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar. They baked at 425 for about 25 minutes. We ate ours with Soy Vanilla Ice Cream! So, so good!

3 comments:

symphonious sweets said...

This looks and sounds delicious! So where are you? PNW or Paris? A new donut shop has opened in eugene and I wondered if you had tried it yet... it is called holy donuts and they are supposed to have some vegan options.

Unknown said...

Courtney, Your galettes look yummy! I have a question on a different subject. Have you ever made Kale Chips? I've researched a bit and it seems to be big in the vegan world. I wanted to give it a try, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any kale. (Maybe the freezing temps we've had recently is the reason.)
Mom

Courtney's Vegan Journal said...

Thank you for the comment Symphonious Sweets! I am living in Vienna, Austria right now. I was previously in Eugene and did have a chance to eat a donut from Holy Donuts! I have a picture of it on my blog. At the time, their only location was at the Saturday Market. That is excellent that they have opened a shop. Are you a fan of Sweet Life?