Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Vegan Stromboli


I asked John what he wanted for dinner. He said something boring like roasted veggies, blah, blah. I asked him to challenge me so he requested Stromboli! First, I had to google it because I had no idea what it was. Secondly, it is not only an Italian dish, but a volcanic island. Good to know!
I made the pizza dough in the morning and let it sit in the fridge all day. I took it out while I was cooking the veggies to let it get room temp. The recipe that I followed is from a blog called Vegan Dad. It has become one of my favorites!
We ended up with 2 loafs of Stromboli but could have easily made 4. We overstuffed each one a bit making it more challenging to roll. Next time I will half the veggies and meat....or double the dough.
The only change I made to the recipe was substituting spinach for kale and vegan chicken nuggets for the seitan. I could not find vegan pepperoni or anything close but found a sausage-like product that sort of tasted like ham but was a perfect fit to the meal. I also forgot to put milk on before baking but it came out fine without it. We finished one of the loaves with ease and most of the second one! I can't believe I have lived 30 years without Stromboli in my life!

No comments: