Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Marinated Italian Tofu



Today is a big day for me!!!! 2 years ago today, I decided to become a vegan. I feel like I have accomplished so many things in these two years that support my decision. I have also been able to spread information and gain support and understanding from people that otherwise wouldn't have been able to define the word vegan!

Along with learning to prepare nutritious vegan meals, I managed to have a vegan menu option at my wedding, including dessert, move to a different country, survive travel through 4 countries, and more states and cities than I care to count all while keeping myself full and happy!

So, to celebrate I made a simple but flavorful meal for John and I.

After the failed attempt at pumpkin gnocchi, John requested I try with sweet potatoes. They did not turn out as soft as the first batch with white potatoes, but were so much better than the pumpkin! I think I figured it out though, a flour issue. If I remember correctly, the first batch was made with a super fine, white flour. The next two attempts, I used a heavier, more wheat-y flour. I will have to give gnocchi a fourth try with that fine, white flour again and test my theory. Here is the recipe.



I made an alfredo sauce to go with the gnocchi. I have made it before, it is cashew based, super creamy, and wonderful to pour on top of pretty much anything! This is good because it makes a lot!

We also had Italian Marinated tofu from Veganomicon and green beans. The recipe for the green beans is so simple but hands-down our favorite. Blanch the green beans, then marinate in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve room temp.

No comments: